Yes, but it requires a special approach using background images.
Background images can significantly enhance your email campaigns, making them more impactful and visually appealing.
They are more engaging than standard buttons, more editable than standard images, and more eye-catching than plain text.
To set up background images, contact your Customer Success Representative, who will get in touch with our Creative Team.
There is a fee for this service.
About background images
Background image blocks rely on coded background images, unlike the standard <img> used for regular images.
They offer several advantages over images of text:
- Accessibility: Since these blocks use live text, they can be read by screen readers.
- Easy copy changes: If you need a last-minute copy change or spot a typo, you won't have to send it back to the designer for amendments.
- Better mobile layout: Unlike an image of text which might shrink on mobile, live text can be more easily controlled for readability on smaller screens.
- Personalisation: You can add personalised merge fields into live text.
Restrictions and considerations
New template framework
Background image blocks are complex to build.
We need to make sure they're compatible with leading email clients and apps.
This means we can usually only create them for you if you're using Ometria's newest template framework.
How do I know if I’m using the new framework?
You're likely on the new framework if:
- Your current master templates were built in or after January 2022
- A lot of your blocks have coded settings for options like stack vs. non-stack
If you're not sure, speak to your Customer Success Representative.
Background image blocks must be custom-built to match the exact dimensions of the background images you plan to use.
If you have multiple image sizes in mind, you might need more than one block.
Text overlay only
You can only overlay text, links and buttons on background images.
You can't overlay other images or icons.
Simple layout required
Depending on the design of your background image, we recommend that you impose a character limit to your text overlay.
This is because there are limitations in resizing background images for mobile.
Image cropping on mobile
There is sometimes a small amount of cropping on background images to make sure they resize correctly for mobile users.
It's important to make sure you centralise the important aspects of your background image.
Manual blocks only
Background image blocks are available for manual content blocks and not for automated product blocks like product selector or product recommendations.
See also: Dark mode
Be aware when using particularly dark background images with white text that the inverted text could become unclear or even invisible.
We always recommend testing your email templates thoroughly before sending them to your contacts.
This is especially important when using new blocks and functionalities.