Remember that there is no one size fits all approach for segmentation! Each contact has different needs and requirements.
These guides shouldn’t be considered 'hard rules' on time limits or how to set up your segmentation, you can adapt them to your brand's needs.
- Segmenting engaged contacts
- How to segment out mistyped email domains
- How to segment out new subscribers that soft bounce
- How to segment out unengaged new subscribers
- Segmenting for email frequency
- How to segment out spam trap addresses
Open rates and deliverability
In deliverability we still use open rates as part of our analysis for inbox placement, but we don't use this metric for engagement.
Since the introduction of Apple’s Mail Privacy Protection, open rates are no longer as reliable as they were because of 'prefetched' opens - emails 'pre-opened' by Apple and not the intended recipient.
This means it’s not easy to tell if a contact has genuinely opened the last campaign they received.
We recommend that instead of relying on opens, you look at a combination of:
- Click through rates
- Last website visits
- Last orders